Thursday, December 27, 2012

It's Time For A New Mantel

The first thing I did when I got back from vacation was to take down my Christmas mantel and work on a New Year's mantel.

I spent all day yesterday cleaning, moving things and moving them again.

I wanted to use clocks on the mantel, but I only have 1 real clock, a little clock plate and a clock face I made from a cd.


I put the mantel together, but something was missing.

I was shopping today for some gifts for my sister and found this great little clock at one of my favorite shops.


Had I planned to go out shopping specifically for a clock, I would never have found one so I couldn't believe my luck.

Afterwards, I decided there was enough time for a quick trip to TJ Maxx.  

I couldn't believe that my luck was holding out.

I found this clock and grabbed it.


I looked around to see what other needless things I could pick up.

I found these wooden letter/number blocks and the giant key on a ring.


I will definitely use the blocks in a vignette.

I have no idea what I will do with the key, but I love the color and whenever I debate on an item and don't buy it, I usually regret it.

Back at home, I played around with different ideas for the mantel.

I used an old family treasure - my grandmother's school slate - to write 2013.


I have letters in all shapes and sizes and I couldn't decide how to spell out New Year.

I wanted to use my ceramic balls, but I don't have a Y.


I have some metal blocks, but the set only came with 26 blocks so I only have 1 E.


I remembered these wooden letters I bought on sale at Michael's.


They have a little magnet on the back so I found an old magnetic board I wasn't using and attached the letters.


I finished it off with some of my hands to hold the signs.



I am excited to have 2 new clocks to use in vignettes.


Steve's only complaint is that none of the clocks are set.

I didn't even think about using them as clocks, I just like the look.

...............................................
I'm linked up at

French Country Cottage

Southern Lovely

My Romantic Home

The Charm of Home

Common Ground

9 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful job. I love clocks, especially old ones that tick loudly! Ha ha!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your clocks and your mantle! Thank you for the inspiration! I collect clocks(mostly wall clocks), but have not mantle, however I do have a shelf that I try to decorate seasonally, but have never decorated for New Years, but now thanks to you I have some awesome inspiration! Thank you! Happy New Year!

    Cathy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute! I love that you used clocks - so appropriate!
    I usually regret when I don't pick up that thing that speaks to me in a store. Every time I don't and I go back it's always gone. TJX is great because you can return it easily if it doesn't work out the way you thought so there's nothing to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I adore all your clocks and such - but that birdie clock makes me SWOON!!!!!

    Happy new Year and thanks so much for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your ideas for your Christmas mantle, it looks fantastic. We always take our Christmas decorations down on Mew Years Day so have never thought of decorating for the New Year. Hope you had a good holiday.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mantel looks great! Love all the clock faces!! I also really like the blocks that spell new and 2013 on the chalkboard! So cute! I need to get me act together and get some sort of chalkboard going! I love that! Happy New Year!! Tanks for visiting! I am following!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. You reminded me of an idea that I was going to do this year but won't have the time (oh, gesh... I made a pun!) I made copies of clock faces on card stock that I was going to embellish with glitter and ribbon. Take down the Christmas ornaments and tuck these clock faces among the branches. Voila! A New Year's tree!! Your magnet letters on the one side and using the vintage chalkboard on the other are delightful! Love what you did! By the way, I am your newest follower! So exciting to make new friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I became one of your followers earlier today.

      I love the idea of your New Year's tree.

      What I like abut blogging is the spark I get from seeing something on a blog. I often have the ingredients, but I don't know what to do with them.

      Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  8. Great idea for a New Tear mantle Carol. Love the clocks, especially the one from TJ Maxx, and the chalkboard held by some hands !

    ReplyDelete